There’s many things I want to improve in my life to reduce my impact on the planet and ‘be the change’. I’ve made a good strong start and I’m proud of what I’ve achieved so far. But there’s much more I feel I could do and it’s so easy to wander off the path when the pressures of everyday life wade in.
I’ve come to realise I can’t change the world on my own. But I can change my world. I can also lead by example and show how easy it is to make small changes for the better.
So I decided to write a list of rules for myself to guide me this year (and onwards!). A list to come back to when I get overwhelmed by the pressures of life that can distract me from my goals. It’s a personal list to me, how I live my life now and how I want to live it.
It’s not about how I think other people should live or a comment on other people’s choices. But I thought I’d share it here, in case anyone might be interested and so I feel more accountable to it.
- My diet will always be dairy-free at home, but not necessarily when I am out and with friends and family
- I will only buy secondhand clothes (when I really need them) except for things like underwear and sportswear. Those I will only buy if they are made ethically and sustainably
- I will only buy ethical and sustainable gifts for friends and family and wrap them in reused or recyclable paper
- I will never drive anywhere that I can easily walk to
- I will not buy plastic when there is a simple alternative
- I will only use eco-friendly plastic-free and vegan toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and soap. I will work on making my make-up plastic free
- I will only use eco-friendly cleaning products
- I will work on reducing the plastic waste from my food
- I will only buy things I really need or things that spark real joy for me and contribute to my hobbies. I will always aim to get secondhand or eco-friendly if I can.
- Wherever possible, I will buy things made or based in the UK from sustainable companies or small local businesses
I’m sure I will add to to this list over time but I think this is an achievable and succinct list that will help me keep to the path I want to follow in 2019 and beyond. Do you have any basic rules (written down or in your head) that you try to follow?